Your child has a small fracture in the lower-arm, a torus fracture. It is a buckle of the bone. This is treated with a brace and a sling. Summary
- Your child has a small fracture in the lower-arm, at the level of the wrist.
- This type of injury almost always heals well without any loss of function.
- A routine follow-up is not necessary for this type of injury.
- The sling can be removed as pain allows. The brace may be removed after one week. If your child is still in too much pain, then the use of the brace can be reduced in the second week.
- To prevent the wrist from getting stiff, it is important that your child starts moving his/her wrist after 1-2 weeks.
- You can find instructions on how to reapply the brace in the app.
- If you have any questions, or are experiencing problems with your recovery, you can call the “breuklijn” (fracture hotline): (0314) 32 92 50 on work days between 10:00 - 12:00.
The torus fracture of the wrist or lower-arm is a common injury in children. The fracture is treated with a brace and a sling.
- Wear the sling, you may remove it as soon as your child's pain allows.
- Wear the brace.
- Wear a brace, remove it as soon as your child's pain allows.
- Move your child's wrist and lower-arm
| After 4 weeks
- Your child may start sports.
Follow these instructions for a good recovery:
- The brace and sling keep your child's arm in a comfortable position.
- The sling can be removed if your child's pain allows this. Wear the brace for one week. Is your child in too much pain after 1 week? Then your child can use the brace in the second week. After the second week your child should not wear the brace anymore.
- The fracture is close to your child's wrist. Therefore it is important that your child starts moving his/her wrist after 1-2 weeks. This prevents your child's wrist from getting stiff and improves the healing and recovery.
- After 3 weeks, your child can carefully resume activities. This is only when your child’s pain allows this. If your child is still experiencing too much pain to do this, it is better to wait a few more days.
- When your child takes a shower the brace can be removed. Make sure that your child's arm is completely dry before putting on the brace again. You can find instructions on how to reapply the brace in the app.
- Is your child in pain? Use a mild pain killer such as paracetamol (acetaminophen). Do not wait with the use of paracetamol until the pain is too much.
Reapply the brace
- This type of injury almost always heals well with time and use – no specific treatment is required and routine follow-up is not necessary.
- Does the pain increase, or does it not improve? Please contact the “breuklijn” (fracture hotline). We will make an appointment if necessary.
In the video below you can find instructions on how to to reapply the brace. Exercises
The fracture is close to the wrist. Therefore it is important that your child starts moving the wrist after 1-2 weeks. No specific exercises are necessary. Questions?
Virtual Fracture Care app
|Please call us
If there are any questions after reading the information, please contact us or visit www.slingeland.nl.
Breuklijn, (0314) 32 92 50. Please call us on work days between 10:00 - 12:00.
In our Virtual Fracture Care app, you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android). You can also scan the QR-code, automatically you will be transferred to the app.